According to the Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs, Vladimer Bortsvadze, the investigation is underway to determine the cause of death of Giorgi Shakarashvili.
“Due to the high public interest regarding the case of Giorgi Shakaarashvili, Ministry of Internal Affairs would like update society on the results of the ongoing investigation.
Considering the scale and intensiveness of the investigative activities, the number of staff assigned to the case has been increased and thus, the investigation will be continued by the Central Criminal Police Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
In order to establish the cause of death of Giorgi Shakarashvili, investigative activities are in progress on all possible versions.
After the completion of forensic-medical expertise and establishing the real cause of death, the case may be re-qualified into more serious charges.
Herewith, due to the high public interest, the Agency publishes the call made by Iakob Bregvadze to 112 service, where he requests patrol crew. Ministry also publishes the call made by the 112 operator to Iakob Bregvadze, where operator tries to specify the detailed location.
As for the legal side of the police crew that arrived at the scene, the General Inspection of the Ministry of Internal Affairs is investigating the matter and in case if any sign of misconduct is revealed from their side, the materials will be handed over to the General Prosecutor"s Office for further response.
As it is known, at this stage, 17 people have been charged and detained for organizing violence in group, participation, illegal restriction of freedom and committing gang violence.
Regarding the aforementioned case, intensive investigative as well as operative activities are in progress, in particular:
• Up to 450 investigative and procedural activities have been carried out:
• 93 individuals have been interrogated;
•Under the circumstances of urgent necessity and based on the judge"s decision, 121 search and seizure activities have been carried out, as a result of which 105 units of computer equipment, mobile phones and camera have been seized. Also, for the purpose of forensic research, clothes and shoes have been seized from 40 individuals, including the accused persons and others related to the case;
• A total of 41 DNA and dactyloscopic specimens were taken from the accused persons and those involved in the case;
• Information has already been requested from mobile operators to determine locations and connections of dozens of individuals related to the case;
• Video footages of up to 600 hours of length recorded by the surveillance cameras have been requested from dozens of objects;
• In order to establish factual circumstances and objective reality regarding the case, 57 various (8 types) expertises have been appointed, including forensic-medical, chemical, micro-particles, biological, soil, dactyloscopic, traceological and information—technological expertises.
The Ministry of Internal Affairs is actively cooperating with the family of the deceased to immediately provide them with information on the progress and results of the ongoing investigation.
Herewith, the Ministry would like to call on society and particular media sources to refrain from disseminating inaccurate and misleading information so as not to damage the interests of investigation and not to interfere with the process of establishing objective truth regarding the case.
In connection with the mentioned case, society will be gradually updated”, - said the Deputy Minister.